Thursday, December 15, 2005

Top 5

OK, one of my greatest pet peeves is urban mismanagement. I remember when I was a teen growing up in Dallas, I could walk one street, get on a bus, transfer downtown and go anywhere. When I returned from college, some accountant genius eliminated a number of lines and consolidated them. (Mind you, this was--of course--in the poor areas where people actually use the bus.) Then they raised the fare. They doubled it, if I remember correctly. Right.

Here in LJ, the buses are methodically ridiculous. It's the perfect combination of Balkan "don't give a fuck" and Austrian "lots and lots of rules." So, there are 3 Črnuče buses to every Nove Jarše bus and 2 Ježica buses for every Nove Jarše bus. It's Christmas shopping season and Nove Jarše goes directly to the largest shopping complex in southern Europe. So every ride is fucking packed. New York subway at 8:30AM packed. Right.

I remember my first NYC transit strike. And my second. (I want to say there was a third, but whatever.) Anyway, they were all bluffs. TWU goes give us more money, lower our penalties. MTA says transport people around better. It's a farce. It's an every three or so years farce. They all just kow-tow at the last minute, because state employee strikes are illegal in New York with like $200 a day fines. At the end of it all, the fares go up. Unions are bullshit. 1920, great, union me up. Now, unions are complete and utter bullshit. Professional athletes are unionized. There's an alternate universe where the CEO's union is standardizing their financial parachutes right now. Mind you, big rich bastard companies are much bigger bullshit, but I've grown accustom to that. I just don't like the idea that the bus driver sharing the bar with me is a big bullshitty crybaby. Right.

New Yorkers, Top 5 things to do in New York during a transit strike...


Everybody else, Top 5 unions that should be created...

2 Comments:

Blogger J Wilson said...

The Pirating Music Union
The Foreigners Living Abroad Union
The My Ex-Girlfriends Union
The People Who Are Related Union
The Under 18 Union

Thu Dec 15, 06:13:00 PM UTC  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ass gremlin, Jew dan't thule me'd blog-n-shit! What the F. Gentlemen World Traveler Man Of Lee-zure!!!!!!

Fri Dec 16, 05:32:00 PM UTC  

Post a Comment

<< Home